We’ve been baking this week! As it is nearing Christmas and we have been learning about extreme weather in our home school, making snow cakes seemed a doubly good idea! These orange cupcakes are easy to make, look good and taste fantastic.
We have also teamed up with https://www.trago.co.uk/ who sent me this handy infographic which I would like to share to help you work out your baking time when cooking cakes depending on the size of your tins.
Trago has some brilliant bakeware and accessories at really good prices, so they are really worth checking out. They sell a wide range of other products too.
Snow cakes recipe
- 225g Self-raising flour
- 175g Stork or similar
- 175g Golden caster Sugar
- 3 Eggs
- The zest of an orange
- 1tsp Vanilla essence
- 4tbsp Milk
For the icing
- 175g Icing Sugar
- 4tbsp Orange juice
- 1 Egg white
1. Preheat the oven to 170
2. Melt the butter in a saucepan and then leave to cool for five minutes.
3. Mix together the caster sugar, melted butter, zest, vanilla, and milk.
4. Add the eggs, one at a time, whisking well.
5. Fold in the flour.
6. Spoon into cake cases and bake for 18 minutes.
7. Once cooked, leave to cool on a wire rack.
8. To make the snow topping for the cakes: Put the egg white and orange juice in a glass bowl and stir in the icing sugar.
9. Put the bowl over a pan of simmering water and whisk until glossy and standing in soft peaks.
10. Remove from the heat and whisk for another two minutes.
11. Swirl onto the top of each cupcake and leave to set.
These will keep for up to three days if you can make them last that long! The recipe makes 12 large cupcakes or 24 buns.
I would love to hear from you if you have a go at making them yourself to find out your thoughts