You may hold my hand for a while, but you hold my heart forever – Unknown
Romance comes in many different forms depending on the individual, so it is not important which way one expresses romance, but it is important that romance exists in the relationship!
The beginning of the relationship is often where the most romance occurs, as you both want to impress each other and feelings are running high. As a relationship progresses and time passes by, romance is often forgotten and people can take each other for granted.
Long term relationships cannot be full of romance and flowers, as it is not realistic. Life gets in the way, we have rent to pay, jobs, cleaning, kids and a whole host of other things. If we put all of our time and energy into our relationship, thinking of ways to be romantic, then all of those other things would suffer greatly. The key is to make sure that you spend some of the time being romantic and showing your affection to keep the relationship strong.
There are many ways that this can be achieved and it does not have to be expensive. Here are some examples.
- Candle lit massage
- Run a bath and light candles and put out some oils.
- Cook a romantic dinner where you get dressed up and make sure you will not be interrupted!
- Leave post-it notes around the house for your spouse to find telling them how much you love them or reasons why you love them.
- Write a heartfelt message in a card (you could even hand make the card).
- Write a poem.
- Go out on a date night.
- Buy flowers or a small inexpensive gift, just because.
- Make a play-list for your spouse.
- If you make your partner a packed lunch, pop a love note inside.
- Frame a photo of the two of you together.
The above ideas are mostly all free or low cost so you do not need to wait for spare cash to get romantic. Doing a couple of romantic gestures a month is enough to keep the fires burning in a long term relationship and are well worth the effort.
If you feel like romance is dead in your relationship then why not add a bit of romance yourself. Your partner will more than likely reciprocate the romance and you will both feel more loved and valued.
I love you not because of anything you have, but because of something that I feel when I’m near you – Unknown
This post is part of the blog series – the A-Z of a healthy and