The winter is my favourite time of year for food as you get to eat lovely warm comforting food and it tastes so good! My absolute favourite meal to eat at this time of year is my home made Shepherds pie. It is such a great dish and so easy to make, it is low cost and it is also a really good dinner for hiding loads of vegetables in so your children eat them with out even realising it!
Here is my recipe to make it for your family.
500g mince beef.
3 large carrots.
A tin of baked beans.
A tin of chopped tomatoes.
A small chunk of cheese.
1. Peel and chop the potatoes and put them on to boil until tender.
2. Wash the leeks and chop into small slices and then wash and peel the carrots and chop into small chunks. The great thing about this recipe is that you can use different vegetables if you like, whatever you have in the fridge. This step is also great for little people to help too.
3. Using a large pan, dry fry the mince until brown on a high heat setting on your hob.
4. Drain out the excess fat and then return to the heat.
5. Add the carrots and leek and cook for another 4 or 5 minutes so that the vegetables are softened but not brown.
6. Add the tomatoes and baked beans and simmer on a medium heat for another 5 minutes.
7. Meanwhile drain the potatoes and mash them, adding some butter and milk to make smooth mashed potatoes.
8. Pour the mince mixture into a large casserole dish and then top with the mashed potatoes. I just love all the colours in the mixture!
9. Finally grate the cheese and sprinkle on top of the potatoes.
10. Bake in the centre of a preheated oven on 180 for one hour.
Serve with a selection of extra vegetables.
This is my entry into the co-op electrical competition to win £750 to spend with them. Details of this competition can be found on there website here if you would like to enter or find out more.