We have been homeschooling for a few months now and we are using a topic-based style (unit study). We are currently studying pets as our topic and as there are so many different pets to study, I asked FJ to think of three that she would like to study in more detail.
- Draw pictures of a hamster (tip – there are lots of guides to follow online)
- Visit a pet store to view the hamsters
- Learn facts about hamsters
- Learn about pet owner responsibility when owning a hamster
- Write an acoustic poem using the word – HAMSTER
- Colour in this hamster anatomy sheet or older children can draw their own.
I have made a worksheet to help with learning which is free to download from my freebie library. If you have not accessed my freebie library before, you will need a password which you can get by signing up to my newsletter using the form on the right sidebar.
Books and films
- Hip hamster projects: loads of cool craft projects inside by Isabel Thomas
- Looking after hamsters by Susan Meredith
- You and your pet hamster and gerbil by Jean Coppendale
- The truth about hamsters: what hamsters do when you’re not looking by Mary Colson
- Movie – Animal crackers
- BBC documentary – Pets: wild at heart
For more home education inspiration take a look at my home education Pinterest board.