Here is my recipe for cheese and potato swirls. They are super easy to make, low cost and delicious too! They are great hot as part of a main meal or can be enjoyed cold for packed lunch, pinics or parties.
- Shortcrust pastry
- 2 Medium sized white potatoes
- 2 tbsp milk
- 1 egg
- 160g cheddar cheese
- diced onion
You can either make your pastry from scratch, use a packet mix or buy premade pastry. I have used all of those methods for these cheese and potato swirls and they all tasted great.
- Start by making your pastry and setting it to one side.
- Peel and chop your potatoes and put them on to boil until soft.
- Meanwhile chop your onion and fry until soft and lightly brown.
- put the fried onion in a bowl and add the drained cooked potatoes.
5. Mash the potatoes with a fork.
6. Add the milk and the egg and mix well.
7. Grate 100g of the cheese and mix into the filling.
8. Set to one side and get your pastry. Half it and roll out onto a floured surface.
9. Preheat your oven to 200
10. Trim off your pastry ends and then add half of the filling, making sure that you leave a gap at the sides to prevent leakage.
11. half your remaining block of cheese and slice. Space out as shown above.
12. Roll up the pastry and then turn so that the join is at the bottom and slice.
13. Repeat with the other half of your pastry, filling and cheese.
14. Add to a lined baking tray and bake for 15 minutes or until lightly browned and cooked through.
- Do not overfill the pastry or they will leak and lose their swirl.
- If you want a strong taste of cheese, use a medium or strong cheddar cheese.
- Store leftovers in an airtight container in the fridge for up to three days.